From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Hobbs
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: No sighting: Public listings, private locales, and sewage lagoons

In my own experience, sewage lagoons have offered pretty good odds for viewing - a few allow entry, but most do not (though the lagoons are often viewable from outside their boundaries).  It makes sense that most municipalities would want to deter people as a general rule, and surely most birders already know that.

Maryville, for instance, required permission the last time I was there, and I recall it being difficult to view otherwise.  Prathersville has a tall chain-link fence, but is viewable from the public road.  Yet another in Elkhart (KS) has a 'Welcome Toid-Boids!' sign that actually encourages entry
and exploration.   Does Carlyle fall into one of these categories?

Unless someone emphatically states otherwise that the area is not viewable, my personal 'default' for sewage lagoons is to regard them as 'inaccessible but viewable'.  Reports from sewage lagoons shouldn't mean tacit permission to enter - we've all been around the block a few times and should know this.
PLEASE keep those reports coming . . . and use some common sense, birders!

Chris Hobbs
Lenexa, KS

The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum ASM Spring Meeting: May 2-4, 2014 in Jefferson City Details and online registration at: http://www.mobirds.org/ASM/Meetings.aspx

ASM Spring Meeting: May 2-4, 2014 in Jefferson City