Seduction: The Art of Persuasion in the Medieval World.

Dear Colleague:
We are pleased to announce the 2014 annual conference of the Illinois Medieval Association, co-sponsored by the University of Illinois-Chicago (UIC). The conference will take place at UIC on February 21-22, 2014. This year’s theme is “Seduction: The Art of Persuasion in the Medieval World.”

DEADLINE:  December 15, 2013. Please send abstracts to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
We encourage proposals that engage with the rhetoric and representation of seduction and persuasion in all aspects of medieval discourse: literature, art, history, and culture.We invite papers from all disciplines.  Preference is given to submissions closelyrelated to the conference theme, but abstracts on any aspect of medieval studies are welcome.

Proposals for whole sessions as well as individual papers are welcome. Three-paper sessions are scheduled for 90 minutes, including 20 minutes for each paper and time for discussion. Visit our website for more information, including registration information. http://ima2014.publish.uic.edu/

Individual papers: 250 word abstract.
Panel proposals: Proposal should include a short abstract for each paper (250 words total).
We welcome papers that address any of the following as depicted in serious or parodic romance and poetry, historical documents, religious texts, medical texts, legal documents, art, and architecture. We encourage papers on related topics.
Papers investigating the art of seduction and persuasion might touch on these topics:

  *   Romantic/erotic love
  *   Sermons and preaching
  *   Debates of all kinds
  *   Conversion experiences
  *   Political persuasion
  *   Inspiring and carrying out crusades and Crusades
  *   The writing of history in chronicles, cartularies, etc.
  *   War
  *   Materiality and the power of objects
  *   Marginalia
  *   Transgression
  *   Conformity

Abstracts and Questions:   [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

--
Elizabeth Dolly Weber, Ph.D.
Vice President, Illinois Medieval Association

<mailto:[log in to unmask]>