Accipiter ID-ers,

I apologize that my captions weren't clear, and  I've tried to correct that.  The "first" overhead bird is now labelled as "SSHA from CAS field trip to EBCA (Oct 19, 2013)."  It's at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99845460@N07/10368175396/in/photostream/

The next 3 are the same bird, so the perched one is the same bird as the one taking flight (and then in flight), so I'm assuming it's more likely a COHA than a SSHA since the perched photo is so bad and the taking-flight photo is better.  Please correct me if I'm wrong!  Those are labeled:  "accipiter (COHA?) @ EBCA on Oct 14, perched", "same accipiter (COHA?) @ EBCA on Oct 14, taking flight," and "same accipiter (COHA?) @ EBCA on Oct 14, in flight."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99845460@N07/10275950063/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99845460@N07/10275864975/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99845460@N07/10275876005/in/photostream/

I do appreciate all of your efforts in ID-ing these birds, especially from the marginal photos that I was able to get.  I have ordered a book on ID-ing hawks in flight, and it's on its way to me now.  I look forward to seeing more accipiters and improving my skills.  In the meantime, it's reassuring to know that accipiters are tricky, especially from a single photo!

All the best,

Karen Wosilait
Columbia, MO (temporarily)
Seattle, WA (permanent)