    I birded, what I call, Oronogo Bottoms - a ruined
    wetland, north of Joplin and south of Oronogo,
    Jasper County, this morning.
    Surely this was,at one time, a wondrful wetland.
    Periodic flooding prevented it from becoming a
    house development.  Unfortunately it became a
    zinc and lead mined land in the early and mid
    former century.  So, what could have been....
    Today it is dry having been drained off recently.
    Private property.  I have permission.
    Center Creek is to the north; a ditch draining
    Webb City's lagoon is on the west.  These two
    places are where the birds are found of course.

    10 to 11 am, 45 F., cloudy, strong south breeze.

    My favorite was a Spotted Towhee, male.  It gave
    me great looks.  Front, sides and back.  A
    female skulked in the brush, and didn't come up.

    01    Cooper's Hawk
    03    Mourning Dove
    02    Red-bellied Woodpecker
    01    Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
    03    Downy Woodpecker
    02    Northern Flicker
    02    Blue Jay
    07    American Crow
    05    Carolina Chickadee
    02    Tufted Titmouse
    01    White-breasted Nuthatch
    03    Carolina Wren
    06    Eastern Bluebird
    04    American Robin
    03    Yellow-rumped Warbler
    01    SPOTTED TOWHEE     male and female
    05    Chipping Sparrow
    04    Field Sparrow
    02    White-throated Sparrow
    04    Dark-eyed Junco
    03    Northern Cardinal
    07    American Goldfinch

    Lawrence Herbert, Joplin, Jasper Co., MO.  certhia ATatt.net  10-26-13.