I was scheduled to leave yesterday, but Delta fouled up and my departure
was delayed by a day. So we went off towards Illinois for a drive, and on
the way, a huge flock (skein? gaggle?) of American Pelicans floating along
in the sky,  made a delightful sight!

As I prepare to start my own migratory path today, I wonder....I've seen so
many water birds at the St.Louis Zoo.  Their wings are not clipped, so what
keeps the ducks and other waterfowl from flying away in obedience to
Nature's laws?  Is it just the prospect of regular food? This intrigues me
a lot...would love the experts' opinion on this.

Will read the replies in India...meanwhile, adieu!

Cheers, Deepa.