From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Hobbs
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2013 1:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Eagle Bluffs accipiter

Brian Wheeler responded after looking at the photo on his home monitor, and politely acknowledged still shots of Accipiters can be tough and fraught with error.  He was comfortable calling this individual a "pale-type (head nearly white) juvenile Sharp-shinned Hawk", of which he's photographed a couple at Cape May.  He pointed out the wings on this individual are not as rigidly perpendicular as on a Cooper's.  I personally couldn't attest to that feature, but I'll definitely try to be cognizant in the future.

For those who may be unfamiliar with Brian, he co-authored 'A Photographic Guide to North American Raptors' with William Clark and Pete Dunne, as well as his own pair of field guides, 'Raptors of Western (and Eastern) North America'.  He's incredibly modest, but also a fanatical student of raptor identification.  Since I've already thrown in the towel (well, sort of . . .
I did make my own ID decision yesterday!), this is still a fun learning opportunity!

Chris Hobbs
Lenexa, KS