The Audubon Center at Riverlands is closed on Mondays. The toilets at the pavillion are locked, so anyone going on a Monday will have to make other arrangements.

Also keep an eye out for a park ranger, especially if you plan on going beyond any official barriers.

I've seen plenty of St. Charles County Sheriff's deputies at Riverlands, but I've never seen a ranger. Today, in the midst of the government shutdown, I saw a ranger's SUV parked at the HQ. Didn't see the ranger. About an hour later, I came by the HQ and the ranger's SUV was gone. Convinced me to stay on the road and not wander down to one of the blinds. I really do not want a citation for trespassing.

While there, I saw about three dozen Bonaparte's Gulls, probably 100 Double-crested Cormorants, about a dozen American Pelicans, and a huge flock of Cowbirds and Starlings.  I can't even guess at the number. I'll simply say a huge black cloud of birds landed.

 No Surf Scoter, no Western Grebe.

Jack Cowan
South St. Louis