Hi all,

As I was leaving the house for my Sunday errands, I went to grab my
binoculars to stop in the park on the way, only to realize I'd left them at
work. I tried not to look too carefully as I biked through the park, but I
noticed a huge number of birds (and a young woman watching them--perhaps she
is on the list and will provide us with her list?), so I stopped for a while
to see what was kicking around. After a few minutes I was kicking myself,
and when I saw something like a Mourning Warbler (definitely not saying I
did see one), I decided to instead turn the bike around for the 15 mile bike
to work. By the time I came back the sun was almost set, and things were a
bit calmer, but I still had a decent day. There was a LOT more than what I
was able to ID before the sun set. I birded the area near the tree in what
used to be a tree in Kennedy Forest. As in past years, the path between the
forest/prairie was dripping with Vermivora and kinglets. If you stand still
for a few minutes you may be rewarded with Orange-crowned and the like
approaching for a closer view. There were definitely other warblers and
probably vireos higher in the trees, but I was too distracted by these guys.

Enjoy the fall!
Eliot Miller

Forest Park, St. Louis City, US-MO
Oct 13, 2013 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
35 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  8
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa)  4
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  15
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  5
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius)  1
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)  1
Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus)  2     Unusual for me to see this bird
in the park
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  4
Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens)  1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  2
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  10
Carolina Chickadee (Poecile carolinensis)  4
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor)  2
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)  4
Brown Creeper (Certhia americana)  4
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon)  1
Winter Wren (Troglodytes hiemalis)  1
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus)  4
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa)  20
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula)  12
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  8
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis)  2
Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos)  1
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  20
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia)  1
Tennessee Warbler (Oreothlypis peregrina)  1
Orange-crowned Warbler (Oreothlypis celata)  8
Nashville Warbler (Oreothlypis ruficapilla)  4
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata)  8
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus)  1
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  1
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  45
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  2
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  4
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  20