Greetings fellow birders!

Yesterday shortly after arriving home from work, I treated to some great spectacles.

To the west, our neighbor's fresh cut pasture had a massive swarm of insects that seemed to glow in the evening sun as they floated on the wing.

Then my attention was drawn to the tree tops along our driveway as there was feathered activity. There were a minimum of 4 Black-throated Green Warblers, 1 Nashville Warbler, ~8 Tufted Titmice, 4 Carolina Chickadees and 18 Cedar Waxwings all within a 30 feet diameter circle.

However, the most outrageous activity I saw was an adult and a juvenile Red-bellied Woodpeckers "flycatching" from the top of a dead tree. It was most fun watching these two carry onwatching the swarming insects drift about then launch themselves out from their perch to catch and retrieve the insects. This took place at least 5 minutes after I initially saw them.

Just though t I'd share.

Good Birding!

Chris Barrigar

Cole Co.