Shoot! I can't believe I just sent that message back out with a copy of the suspect link intact. I apologize for my carelessness.

Dave Scheu
MOBirds-L list co-owner
St. Louis, MO

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Scheu
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2013 2:46 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ADMIN: more spam posts

MOBirders,

I'm sure you've probably all figured out that the two recent lists posts with no subject, containing nothing but strange-looking links, are spam, from the hacked account of a real subscriber but not actually from that person. The note at the bottom claiming the link was checked and found safe is, of course, nonsense, as the links are almost certainly NOT safe. I've notified the subscriber, and have taken steps to intercept any further spam from their account before it is sent to the list.

In case you're wondering, the list's policy of discarding all email attachments means that you'll never get a virus just by opening a MOBirds-L email. But you definitely get one by clicking a link in an email. If you're not sure where the link goes, or there's anything suspicious about the message, don't click!

Thanks,

Dave Scheu
MOBirds-L list co-owner
St. Louis, MO