Dear Richard,

The fundamental difference is that most old men did not spend 7 years as a woman before being turned back into a man. That  is why the Tiresias of Sophocles knows and has been both.

I think pointing to literal old men is the unnecessary complication here: it adds a generalized physiological trait--clearly not always true--to a character whose duality as male/female is what distinguishes him in all the stories about him. It is precisely this well-known fact about Tiresias that makes him significant.
Nancy

>>> Richard Seddon <[log in to unmask]>10/02/13 9:18 PM >>>
Tom

Why?

Old men typically have sagging breasts.

My comment was intended to point that out.

I see this passage as merely a graphic depiction of an old man's chest.

Some can find a gay allusion in virtually any line of TWL.  I think using this phrase in that manner stretches that sort of reasoning to an absurdity.

My question then is,  why make this any more complicated than it already is.  Tiresias was an old man whose chest sagged.  He probably had bow legs, a bald head and arthritic fingers;  poor eyesight and  walked in a sort of shuffle.

Richard Seddon