You may want to consider that the phrase "old man with wrinkled female breasts," that is, a male with some female attributes, could be a safe way, in 1922, of alluding to a male homosexual.

-Tom-

-------- Original message --------
From: Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 10/02/2013  1:04 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tiresias

In the Sophocles texts, he has become, again, a man who has been a woman. In Eliot he seems clearly to remain both. That is part, I think, of the way he responds to the coupling of the two. He is, ironically, both and neither in that text.
Nancy

>>> Richard Seddon 10/02/13 12:02 PM >>>
I don't know about you Carroll but when I look at my 71 year old chest, which used to be hard and flat, I see what looks disturbing like sagging a cups were it not for the gray hair.

And, I assure you I have not had a sex change nor even contemplated it.

Carroll wrote: " The phrase "old man with wrinkled female dugs" seems discordant as well"

Richard Seddon