the face that looks "so antique"

Vivienne Haigh-Wood Eliot (left), with Peter Stainer and Mildred Woodruff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vivienne_Haigh-Wood.jpg

I can’t help it, she said, pulling a long face,

It’s them pills I took, to bring it off, she said.
    .    .    .
The chemist said it would be alright, but I’ve never been the same.

This vis-a-vis the "ivory men" who "make company between us".

There was one ivory man, at least, who "laughed like an irresponsible fœtus".

That corpse you planted last year in your garden,
Has it begun to sprout? Will it bloom this year?
Or has the sudden frost disturbed its bed?
Oh keep the Dog far hence, that’s friend to men,
Or with his nails he’ll dig it up again!

Go, said the bird, for the leaves were full of children,
Hidden excitedly, containing laughter.
Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind
Cannot bear very much reality.
Time past and time future
What might have been and what has been
Point to one end, which is always present.

CR