It does sound like the work of a tabloid newspaper sub-editor, Tim, but perhaps even Eliot descended when needs be to their level.
On another matter, interesting, perhaps that he wasn't moved to testify at the Lady Chatterley trial, as did EM Forster and many other worthies: perhaps there is surviving correspondence about this which the Eliot Project may uncover, but with hindsight and no prior knowledge it does seem odd that he didn't speak up at the time - perhaps he was by then physically not up to it ?