You'll like this!

But who is The Truth, The Light?
We don't discuss these things in our family,
And my mother
Thinks I'm perfect.

Good one!

CR

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:38 AM, Poets.org <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

October 24, 2013

Light (an Ars Poetica)
by Michael Cirelli

for Basquiat, Wylie Dufresne, Bob Viscusi, Trish Hicks

We all do the same ol' same ol' same.
(Some don't.) Basquiat
Dubbed it SAMO©. The buildings made
Of bricks the poems about poetry.
Viscusi said the hyphenated can't stop yapping
About Nonna, gravy, the Old Country.
At St. John's Rec Center, all the fathers
Are missing poems and all the poems are missing
Fathers. When the sun dies, so do the birds
And the trees fall fast as a butcher's knife.
So I don't eat food anymore, I eat light.
The saying goes: you can tell a good chef
By how he cooks an egg. What is the saying
For poets? When Wylie Dufresne
Cooks eggs, they come out cubed.
When Jean-Michel paints eggs, Joe's red eyes
Are in the skillet. SAMO© left his darkness
At the speed of light...
But who is The Truth, The Light?
We don't discuss these things in our family,
And my mother
Thinks I'm perfect. We've mastered burying
The dark stuff deep inside. Mom breathes smoke
To keep it at bay, I eat light, a stack of pancakes:
A stack of light--coffee, juice, Gatorade:
A mug, a glass, a bottle of light--spaghetti
With meatballs: strings of light with ornaments of light.

Copyright © 2013 by Michael Cirelli. Used with permission of the author.

About This Poem
"This poem explores for me, what poetry is, and what poetry can be. I don't think I personally pull it off, but it does do many things I like: talks about food, talks about art/artists, has tidbits of tuff truths, and has spaghetti and meatballs."

--Michael Cirelli
Most Recent Book by Cirelli

The Grind

(Hanging Loose Press, 2013)

Poem-A-Day
Launched during National Poetry Month in 2006, Poem-A-Day features new and previously unpublished poems by contemporary poets on weekdays and classic poems on weekends. Browse the Poem-A- Day Archive.
Michael Cirelli is the author of several books of poems, including The Grind (Hanging Loose Press, 2013). Cirelli is the executive director of Urban Word NYC, has been a National Poetry Slam finalist, and was featured on the HBO series Def Poetry Jam.

________________________________

Related Poems
All She Wrote
by Harryette Mullen
Night Theater
by Meena Alexander
While Writing
by Noelle Kocot

Love reading Poem-A-Day?
Help support it today.

Thanks for being a part of the Academy of American Poets community. To learn about other programs, including National Poetry Month, Poem in Your Pocket Day, the annual Poets Forum, and more, visit Poets.org.

Forward this email

This email was sent to [log in to unmask] by [log in to unmask] |
Academy of American Poets| 75 Maiden Lane| Suite 901| New York| NY| 10038