When Newton was asked "Why?" in relation to his theories, the replied that he made no "hypotheses".  The universe is as it is. A scientific theory is a tool for making predictions. It makes no attempt to explain why the universe is as it is but strives to create theories whereby one can make predictions about the results of experiments. The question "Why?" is pertinent to religion and metaphysics not science.

A modern translation of Newton's Latin text is

I have not as yet been able to discover the reason for these properties of gravity from phenomena, and I do not feign hypotheses. For whatever is not deduced from the phenomena must be called a hypothesis; and hypotheses, whether metaphysical or physical, or based on occult qualities, or mechanical, have no place in experimental philosophy. In this philosophy particular propositions are inferred from the phenomena, and afterwards rendered general by induction.