Lest we miss out on the Excerpt from Paul Muldoon's Introduction, here's a link:

http://www.npr.org/books/titles/226566569/the-waste-land?tab=excerpt#excerpt

"One very useful way of thinking about the format of The Waste Land is as a night in a music hall, complete with snatches of music, overheard inconsequential conversations, impious ejaculations from male (and female), impersonators, impressionists. The more general milieu of the poem is one of political, cultural, and social upheaval, the literal upheaval caused by trench warfare, the literal sense of dismemberment, discontinuity, and dissociation that followed the Great War of 1914–1918."

CR

From: Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>;
To: <[log in to unmask]>;
Subject: Re: Interview: Paul Muldoon, Editor Of 'The Waste Land' By T.S. Eliot : NPR
Sent: Fri, Oct 18, 2013 12:00:11 PM

  Watching?  Was there video?  What did you think of the idea of regarding TWL as a night at a music hall? I thought, given Eliot's professed enjoyment of music hall entertainment, that it was an appealing idea, but I don't see it getting past the first line of poem. There are certainly some 'characters' in TWL, but Phlebas floating decomposing, the peace that passeth understanding, the undertow of broken lives throughout -- it just doesn't feel like the hearty kind of raucousness or comic sentiment that I imagine a music hall setting might support.  ????

Ken A