Dear Ken,

First, please do not begin with the idea that I find thinking wearisome or that I cannot distinguish between the poems and the life or that any view I have of Eliot is limited and restricted while yours is full and rich.

Once that set of premises is set out, there is no possible discussion except an arid "did not," "did too," or a retreat to repetition.

I do not need to defend my life of reading and thinking, and I do not have to accept your account of my intellectual, spiritual, and theoretical limits.

So: your New Critical basis in the commentary below is a valid but also limited way to approach poetry. When Virginia Woolf described Eliot's first reading of TWL as "chanting it" and "singing it," I presume it was not because she was ignorant of Eliot or of poetry, and when his close friend Mary Hutchinson described it as "Tom's autobiography, a melancholy one," I presume she had at least some direct familiarity with both.

Second, I do not, in fact, even write biography; oddly, most of my work is based in philosophy of time, mysticism, early 20th Century psychiatry, and WWI--and the poetry. I was trained by New Critics so I do see your presumptions.

So, again, as long as this is based in your need to dismiss all but a single and very limited and no longer exclusive set of assumptions, there is not much to discuss.

As for my comment, "read," I mean it literally. There is a great mass of Eliot criticism, and it has changed considerably since the early methods. As I have been reading it all my life, I do recognize these changes. And if I spend time on this list on his life, it is because he is the one who wrote it, not some abstraction, and his poems are, in fact, deeply linked to his life and to his conversion. The young Eliot who wrote to his cousin such funny and irreverent letters with comic drawings and to Conrad Aiken about his need for sex, and who felt some very deep and profound emotional link with Verdenal is very different from the one who came out of the war of his marriage and the War of the Home Front deprivations (I think these were inseparable) wrote different poetry. I do not think this coincidence. And the more material that comes out, the more the connections become vivid.
Nancy
>>> Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>10/16/13 12:03 PM >>>
So