Ken

Thanks:  so it was primarily epistemological.

But I am confused by " positivism was a dead end worth exploring"

Also at the this time Anthropology was in its birth.  French Anthropology was and is almost an American Sociology (interpersonal relations) where American Anthropology was much more structural (how were societies built).  Of course neither excluded the other.  I am thinking that the Anthropology TSE is referring to in the 218 note is primarily a French anthropology and perhaps even more towards the Jungian/Freudian studies of myth.

Rick Seddon
Portales,NM