NOTE: 309. From St. Augustine's Confessions again. The collocation of these two representatives of eastern and western asceticism, as the culmination of this part of the poem, is not an accident.

I'm sure if anything in the poem were an accident, a Pound of flesh would have been had.

These apparently serious but truly satirical notes Eliot inserted, were E's way of putting more material in the folio to fill it up to justify the printing of the whole. Eliot said somewhere that it was his way of having his critics on, who said he should have supplied notes with LSOJAP so it could be understood. I believe there are other such underhanded satirical jibes in the Notes. I do believe that most have been taken seriously, which speaks to the state of illiteracy of the modern literati.

Hope things improve for you Carrol.

Peter M.