The male speaker is also hysterical: his words could be taken straight
from an early 20th medical text on hysteria. The uncontrollable laughter
of the woman would have been a symptom of hysteria, while the male
speaker experiences a kind of hallucination of being swallowed--also a
symptom of hysteria.

>>> Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> 10/31/2013 6:02 AM >>>
courting hysteria

If the poem was composed in 1915 just before marriage, it might have
been occasioned by a moment of embarrassed courtship of a lady subject
to hysteria.

CR

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:23 PM, Nancy Gish