Thank you Tom for a terrific post.

I had been confused about Eliot's usage of
"emotions" and "feelings" in his essays. Maybe his
audience was in tune with him from a standard
usage at the time but I wasn't aware of a
difference. I don't recall Eliot defining the
terms either. I finally came up with something
close to what you reported on with emotions being
the ancient animal-like part and feelings being
when the intellect got involved. As I remember
though Eliot wasn't consistent with the usage and
it appears to me that your author wasn't either.

Thanks also for taking the time to do the scans.

Regards,
   Rick Parker