From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Nancy Gish
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2013 10:18 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: simple questions

I would think Ron Schuchard would be certain to know about reading lists. I
would try asking him.
Nancy

>>> Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]> 10/07/13 10:50 AM >>>
Rick,
Sorry, my floundering memory won't pull up the name of the essay; maybe one
of the two on humanism? As I dimly recollect, Eliot's comment on positivism
was to the effect that it was worth exploring positivism to learn that it
was a dead end. Since my own thought is that positivism gets off to a false
start and therefore can only end wrong, I'm inclined to accept the dead end
pronouncement. I'm not sure having a reading list from the anthropology
course would reveal Eliot's take on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it
doesn't exist somewhere. I think the dissertation would dissuade you on the
liklihood of his taking a Jungian/Freudian angle on anthropology; I'd guess
his own inclination would have been more toward a philosophical
anthropology.

Ken A

On 10/7/2013 10:21 AM, Richard Seddon wrote:
> Ken
>
> Thanks: so it was primarily epistemological.
>
> But I am confused by " positivism was a dead end worth exploring"
>
> Also at the this time Anthropology was in its birth. French Anthropology
was and is almost an American Sociology (interpersonal relations) where
American Anthropology was much more structural (how were societies built).
Of course neither excluded the other. I am thinking that the Anthropology
TSE is referring to in the 218 note is primarily a French anthropology and
perhaps even more towards the Jungian/Freudian studies of myth.