"He is very busy, having published 5 books in the last three years and at
least 17 in the last 20 or so...."

One of my professors at Michigan, Art Eastman, once suggested that no
professor should be allowed to publish a book before he/she was 40. Probably
"until 50 would" be even better.

The number of books which might have made a good essay constitutes about 95%
or more of the books published by university faculty. The current
interpretation of "publish or perish" -- i.e., publish a _book_ or perish,
is a serious crime against the intellect. In some fields (i.e. Shakespeare
studies) it had become such a crime by mid-century. I remember G.B. Harrison
(in coffee-shop chatter) saying that he still read the bibliographies but
had given up reading much of the annual production of books and articles on
Shakespeare.

Carrol