It does sound like the work of a tabloid newspaper sub-editor, Tim, but
perhaps even Eliot descended when needs be to their level.
On another matter, interesting, perhaps that he wasn't moved to testify at
the Lady Chatterley trial, as did EM Forster and many other worthies:
perhaps there is surviving correspondence about this which the Eliot
Project may uncover, but with hindsight and no prior knowledge it does seem
odd that he didn't speak up at the time - perhaps he was by then physically
not up to it ?