CALL FOR PAPERS

The Binghamton University German Studies Colloquium (BUGSC)

What Visual Culture Does for German Studies

Department of German and Russian Studies/ Binghamton University SUNY

April 25-26, 2014

Submission deadline for papers and panels: January 31, 2014

Workshop Leader and Keynote Speaker: Professor Randall Halle, University of Pittsburgh

From Baumgarten to Adorno to Kluge, Sebald, Wenders and Haneke, to Beuys, Kiefer and Pina Bausch, from the infamous images of Leni Riefenstahl to the photographs of Alpine idylls and of walls falling down, we cannot think about a conception of German Studies without thinking about visual culture. The study of visual culture has challenged and changed the way we conceive of and teach in German Studies. We work with and against images of language teaching and learning and of things “German” in particular. The visual cultures of the German-speaking countries and their reception across disciplines have allowed German Studies scholars to expand the scope of their thinking and teaching.  We now teach students to read both literary and visual texts and to develop cultural competencies that include the ability to navigate both material and visual worlds. BUGSC 2014 asks what the study of visual culture has done for German Studies.

Questions that inform BUGSC 2014 include: How has the study of visual culture impacted German Studies both in terms of content and in terms of its presuppositions? Which metaphors and paradigms, arguments and assumptions have emerged from the intersections of German Studies and the visual? What is the relation between text and image, between the literary and the cinematic in German Studies? More practically: What kinds of images are prevalent in German Studies and how do we put them to use in our teaching, research and outreach? In DaF? In our attempts at inter- and transdisciplinarity? What is the difference between reading diagonally across a broadsheet, scrolling through an essay or scanning the surface of an image on a screen? How can a transdisciplinary view of cultural production link German Studies to fields like Art History, Media Studies, Cinema Studies and other discursive groupings in generative ways?

We seek papers that explore and participants who are engaged in reflecting on what role the study of visual culture has played in the development of German Studies. We are interested in thinking about the opportunities and challenges that the study of visual culture presents for practitioners in the field.  We welcome submissions for papers and panels (in German or English) that address “What Visual Culture Does for German Studies.”

Please submit an approximately one-page abstract with a one-paragraph biographical note or a panel proposal with three abstracts and three biographies (presentations should be no longer than twenty minutes with three presentations per panel) by January 31, 2014 to Neil Christian Pages at [log in to unmask] or Harald Zils at [log in to unmask]. We welcome submissions from all those interested in thinking about the interrelation between German Studies and a broad understanding of the study of visual culture.

* * *

The Binghamton University German Studies Colloquium (BUGSC), now in its fifth year, provides a forum for conversation and exchange among scholars, teachers, students, translators, writers, artists and others interested in German Studies. It seeks to foster collaboration among and across programs, departments, disciplines and institutions. BUGSC will take place on Friday, April 25 and Saturday, April 26, 2014 on the Binghamton University campus. Panels will begin on Friday, followed by a keynote lecture on Friday evening. The event will continue on Saturday morning and close with a lunch and a workshop that will address the Colloquium theme in practical and theoretical terms. Information on the keynote lecture and the workshop will follow. Further information on the program, registration and travel arrangements will be found shortly at:

http://bugsc.binghamton.edu/2014/

--

Neil Christian Pages
Associate Professor of German and Comparative Literature
Binghamton University SUNY
Department of German and Russian Studies
P.O. Box 6000
Binghamton, NY 13902-6000 U.S.A.

Tel. 607.777.3308     Fax. 607.777.2658

The 2014 Binghamton University German Studies Colloquium (BUGSC), April 25-26, 2014
What Visual Culture Does for German Studies
http://bugsc.binghamton.edu