CALL FOR PAPERS

The Binghamton University German Studies Colloquium (BUGSC)

**

*What Visual Culture Does for German Studies*

Department of German and Russian Studies/ Binghamton University SUNY

April 25-26, 2014

Submission deadline for papers and panels: January 31, 2014

*Workshop Leader and Keynote Speaker: Professor Randall Halle, University
of Pittsburgh*

**

From Baumgarten to Adorno to Kluge, Sebald, Wenders and Haneke, to Beuys,
Kiefer and Pina Bausch, from the infamous images of Leni Riefenstahl to the
photographs of Alpine idylls and of walls falling down, we cannot think
about a conception of German Studies without thinking about visual culture.
The study of visual culture has challenged and changed the way we conceive
of and teach in German Studies. We work with and against images of language
teaching and learning and of things “German” in particular. The visual
cultures of the German-speaking countries and their reception across
disciplines have allowed German Studies scholars to expand the scope of
their thinking and teaching.  We now teach students to read both literary
and visual texts and to develop cultural competencies that include the
ability to navigate both material and visual worlds. BUGSC 2014 asks what
the study of visual culture has done for German Studies.

Questions that inform BUGSC 2014 include: How has the study of visual
culture impacted German Studies both in terms of content and in terms of
its presuppositions? Which metaphors and paradigms, arguments and
assumptions have emerged from the intersections of German Studies and the
visual? What is the relation between text and image, between the literary
and the cinematic in German Studies? More practically: What kinds of images
are prevalent in German Studies and how do we put them to use in our
teaching, research and outreach? In *DaF*? In our attempts at inter- and
transdisciplinarity? What is the difference between reading diagonally
across a broadsheet, scrolling through an essay or scanning the surface of
an image on a screen? How can a transdisciplinary view of cultural
production link German Studies to fields like Art History, Media Studies,
Cinema Studies and other discursive groupings in generative ways?

We seek papers that explore and participants who are engaged in reflecting
on what role the study of visual culture has played in the development of
German Studies. We are interested in thinking about the opportunities and
challenges that the study of visual culture presents for practitioners in
the field.  We welcome submissions for papers and panels (in German or
English) that address “What Visual Culture Does for German Studies.”

Please submit an approximately one-page abstract with a one-paragraph
biographical note or a panel proposal with three abstracts and three
biographies (presentations should be no longer than twenty minutes with
three presentations per panel) by January 31, 2014 to Neil Christian Pages
at [log in to unmask] or Harald Zils at [log in to unmask] We welcome
submissions from all those interested in thinking about the interrelation
between German Studies and a broad understanding of the study of visual
culture.

* * *

The Binghamton University German Studies Colloquium (BUGSC), now in its
fifth year, provides a forum for conversation and exchange among scholars,
teachers, students, translators, writers, artists and others interested in
German Studies. It seeks to foster collaboration among and across programs,
departments, disciplines and institutions. BUGSC will take place on Friday,
April 25 and Saturday, April 26, 2014 on the Binghamton University campus.
Panels will begin on Friday, followed by a keynote lecture on Friday
evening. The event will continue on Saturday morning and close with a lunch
and a workshop that will address the Colloquium theme in practical and
theoretical terms. Information on the keynote lecture and the workshop will
follow. Further information on the program, registration and travel
arrangements will be found shortly at:
<http://bugsc.binghamton.edu/2014/>

http://bugsc.binghamton.edu/2014/

 <http://bugsc.binghamton.edu/>

--

Neil Christian Pages
Associate Professor of German and Comparative Literature
Binghamton University SUNY
Department of German and Russian Studies
P.O. Box 6000
Binghamton, NY 13902-6000 U.S.A.

Tel. 607.777.3308     Fax. 607.777.2658

The 2014 Binghamton University German Studies Colloquium (BUGSC), April
25-26, 2014
*What Visual Culture Does for German Studies*
http://bugsc.binghamton.edu