"The Human, Human Rights, and the Humanities"

5th Annual Mid-America Humanities Conference for Undergrad. and Grad. Student Research

April 3-4, 2014, Lawrence, KS
This conference offers a venue to critically examine the interrelationship of “the human,” human rights, and the purview of the humanities—interpreting human expression. We welcome papers from undergraduate and graduate students in the humanities and social sciences that explore topics including, but not limited to, the following:

• What are the benefits and limits to a notion of universal human rights?
• Are there notions of being human that are not encapsulated by a human rights framework?
• How do artists and writers engage or critique notions of human rights?
• What can we learn about the human experience, and, potentially human rights, from a speculative vantage point, such as that of science fiction?
• How do disciplines that challenge normative parameters of human experience such as Queer Studies, Disability Studies, or Animal Studies enrich and/ or complicate notions of human rights?

Please submit 250 word abstracts to Dr. Marike Janzen by Dec. 6, 2013.

Marike Janzen
Assistant Professor of Humanities
Coordinator, Peace and Conflict Studies Program

Humanities and Western Civilization Program
The University of Kansas
205B Bailey Hall
1440 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS  66045-7574