Spurred by numerous postings with long lists of warblers sighted, I visited
Maintz Wildlife Preserve today in hopes of adding to the excitement. Despite
a cool, clear, and calm morning, I only saw or heard a single migrant
warbler, a Nashville. Hard to explain.

However, nice consolation prizes came in the form of two Solitary Sandpipers
foraging in the area's small wetland, Marsh Wrens singing in the grassland
nearby, and then, as I admired the wrens, a beautiful male Black-headed
Grosbeak landed atop a sumac just 15 steps away. I'll take that!

Mark Haas,  Jackson,  Cape County,  MO