I keep five feeders in back and have had 5-10 at once every day this week, including Thursday. Saw a big upswing today, with 20-30 birds—more like the last week of August. I assumed it was new migrants moving ahead of this cold front. Still plenty of aggressive behavior, with immature males parking on a feeder and driving away all others. I had not seen an adult male for over a week, and figured I would not see another until next spring, but saw a single one today.

Mark Haas,  Jackson,  Cape County,  MO

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Doyen
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 3:38 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Observed hummingbird behavior

Up until Wednesday night we had about 15 Ruby Throated Hummingbirds in the back yard. Wednesday night just at dark we noticed both feeder full of ruby throats, no one was acting aggressive they were all just sitting and feeding, we had not seen that passive behavior ever before. We also noticed that Wednesday night was a full moon. The next day they had all left except for two. Its two days later and now we have about six on the two back feeders.

For those of you who feed hummingbirds did you notice the number of hummingbirds around your feeders to be much lower on Thursday? Just curious as if the moon plays a role in the migration of hummingbirds!

Mike

Pablo Neruda.