Hello Mobirders,

Tomorrow looks like a beautiful day with ideal weather conditions to observe migrating raptors. Shaw Nature Reserve has generously worked with me to again allow us access into an area that cars are not allowed, so I would like to ask you up front to join us  for the entire duration, from 9 until noon. The gate will be locked behind us and will be unlocked at noon for trip participants to leave. Shaw has generously agreed to these conditions so there is significantly less walking, and birders can access a great area with a short distance to their vehicles. If you need to leave earlier, you can park near the Bascom house and walk out from there. Thank you for your cooperation.

The ST. LOUIS AUDUBON SOCIETY is sponsoring a birding field trip starting
at SHAW NATURE RESERVE  on Saturday, September 21, 201at 9:00 AM.

DIRECTIONS:  From St. Louis take I-44 West to Highway 100 (Gray’s Summit Exit) Turn left back over 44 and then turn right. The entrance is on the immediate left.

TRIP COST:  There is a $3 entrance fee to Shaw, but the trip is free!   Everyone is welcome,  members and especially non-members and new birders

MEET at the Visitor Center Parking lot; rest rooms are nearby.

PLAN:  This is a half-day trip, beginning at the VISITOR'S CENTER parking lot at 9am. I plan on birding our way from the visitors center by car with several stops before the Maritz House parking lot, where we will park. If birding is slow, we can explore more forested areas of Shaw to look for resident raptors and migrant passerines. We will set up near the prairie at Maritz House and have scopes trained on the sky for good raptor-watching.

BRING:  Your spotting scopes, a folding chair or comfortable pair of standing shoes, binoculars, and any hawk ID books you wish to use or share with the group (Hawks from Every Angle, etc.) I will bring my collection of materials to share.

Bring Lunch and Drink; as we might be sitting around until noon.

MORE INFO:   E-mail me at [log in to unmask] or visit   http://www.stlouisaudubon.org

GOAL:  Last year participants enjoyed a beautiful fall day with light winds, and saw all 10 of predicted raptor species. See list below:

Broad-winged Hawk 297 (more went uncounted)
Sharp-shinned Hawk 17
Turkey Vulture 12
Red-tailed Hawk 8
Cooper’s Hawk 5