Wednesday I checked out the oxbow lakes region just south of Saint Joseph. The only shorebirds I saw were KILLDEER, SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER, LEAST SANDPIPER and PECTORAL SANDPIPER. PURPLE MARTINS seemed to be everywhere in went. They were perched in trees, on utility wires and flying in large groups. I estimated around 4,000 birds for a total. I also was able to add a LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE to the day's list. I found it perched on the barbed wire fence around Muskrat Lake. This latter species has been pretty much non-existent around Saint Joseph for the past three years, so it was nice to see one on Wednesday. Another bird I saw on Wednesday was a BLUE GROSBEAK on the utility wires along Horseshoe Lake (Pettet Road off of 59 Highway). He has been pretty regular in this area along Horseshoe Lake.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO

ASM Fall Meeting: September 27-29 2013 at Lake of the Ozarks State Park