For people like me who aren't confident of their ability to distinguish Neotropic from Double-Crested, here's a page that may be helpful:
http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~ctlee/Cormorant.pdf

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 7:51 PM, William Rowe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
It was fun to see so many good birders and old friends at Columbia Bottom, St. Louis Co., this morning.  No unusual shorebirds were present, but later in the morning, while scoping from the road intersection near the levee, I got onto a very distant group of 5-6 cormorants, one of which was noticeably smaller than the others.  I tracked it as far as I could, but it dropped down far away in the part of the area that's closed to the public due to road closure.

So, if anyone goes there over the coming weeks, please keep your eye on the cormorants.  While Neotropic has become more regular in Missouri/Illinois lately, it's always a good find and would be a new species for Columbia Bottom.  If you do happen to see one (or any other good bird) and are not in the habit of reporting to CACHE, please notify me and I'll put up a one-species list on your behalf, so as to get the species on the official area list.

Thanks,

Bill Rowe
St. Louis