For the last few weeks we have had a pair of Scissor-tailed flycatchers on the telephone wires near McComas road (near Smithville lake) where the Short-eared owls habitually are present each winter.  It is the first pair in this location that I can ever remember....  Just east about a mile or so is also a resident Loggerhead Shrike.

What has been absent the last 2-3 years or so are the Upland Sandpipers.  They were always present each summer but no more?  Anyone else have any comments on their presence or absence in your area?

Terry L. Miller

Kearney High School

Ecology/College Zoology/Genetics/Botany/Astronomy Teacher

816-628-4585

"It is the inherent dignity of every human person that we must strive to respect, to inspire, and to believe in....and what a great responsibility we have as teachers and role models!"