The end of July brings the close of the avian summer season (June 1 - July 31). Please take some time to sort through your sightings for this period and send me your Summer Seasonal Report before August 10. Contact information is listed at the end of this e-mail.

Your seasonal report should include significant sightings during the period. Examples of "significant sightings" include:

-- any species listed as "rare", "casual", or "accidental" on the Annotated Checklist of Missouri Birds <http://mobirds.org/MBRC/MOChecklist.asp>;

-- unusually early or late dates (check Robbins & Easterla (1992) or www.showme-birds.com)

-- high counts or unusually low counts (also include a note if a species usually present in your area during this period appeared to be completely absent or unusually abundant).

Information about weather events in your area will also help me paint a better picture of the summer season.

PREFERRED FORMAT -- An Excel document with the following data:
1) Species
2) Number observed
3) Date
4) Location (i.e. park, residence, city, etc.)
5) County
6) Observer(s)
7) Additional Notes (such as age/sex, notes about how you arrived at a particularly difficult identification, and whether you submitted documentation for casual or accidental species)

If you would like a sample Excel document to get started, please let me know.

PHOTOS -- Submission of photos showing your significant sightings through the season is encouraged. High-resolution images (300 dpi) can be e-mailed in JPEG format.

The data you provide is used to produce the regional report published in the American Birding Association's "journal of record for birders," North American Birds; and a summary of sightings is also published in the ASM's quarterly publication, The Bluebird.

PLEASE REMEMBER -- Your sightings must be submitted directly to me in order to be considered for inclusion in the final seasonal report. Sightings posted only to MOBIRDS-L will not be included in the report.

Please send your sightings to me at one of the addresses below before Wednesday, August 10. I will reply to each e-mail to confirm receipt.

Kristi Mayo
Summer Seasonal Report Editor

e-mail (NOTE: this is a NEW address):

mailing address: