You'll excuse me, Tom, but it is not Evans's sloppiness that is the point of discussion here.

CR

From: Tom Colket <[log in to unmask]>;
To: <[log in to unmask]>;
Subject: Re: Poem-A-Day: Experiment in Divination: Voice and Character by Rebecca Wolff
Sent: Thu, Aug 8, 2013 11:00:04 AM

CR> Well, that is beside the point

(Sorry that Evans name got "autocorrected" to Evens in my post)

The point is that, by botching the title, Mr. Evans shows a sloppiness that is abundantly evident throughout the article you called our attention to.

Here's what TSE has to say about the title in a postscript to a 1928 letter to a Spanish translator, Angel Flores (from "Letters, vol 4"):

To Angel Flores

22 February 1928 [ London ]

 . . . . .  . main letter  . . .

Yours very truly,
[T. S. Eliot]

P.S. The title, by the way, is not 'The Wasteland' but 'The Waste Land'. The only exact translation of the title is one which my French translator, Jean de Menasce, discovered, although alas! too late to use in his version - 'La Gaste Lande'. This is absolutely the exact equivalent as it alludes to the same mediaeval fiction.