Dear Carrol,

That depends on whether you think there was anxiety about homoerotic feelings that made this incident resonate for Eliot. I have no strong view on that, but it has many potential bases for being possible or likely. Making him into a Smyrna merchant with a pocketful of currents may just fit the poem, but the incident itself is as probable a source for personal response as his marriage or any other event in his life. Given his later outrage and extreme response to Peters's article suggesting homosexuality, the issue evoked an extreme response. I don't think you can make any definite statement about the relative importance of that and his marriage.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]> 08/25/13 11:43 PM >>>
Use of events from the writer's personal experience is not necessarily the
same as being influenced by those events. E.g., if an author once visited
(say) Arthur Illinois, and afterwards puts a horse and buggy in a book, it
does not mean that he/she was influenced by Amish religious doctrine. Very
possibly Mr. Eugenides as a personal event is merely a case of an author
grabbing a detail from life even though the detail has no deep personal
significance: it's just a detail that fits the poem. Cf. the Church bell
with a particular dull sound. The details from his marriage, on the other
hand, are probably part of what he called his grouch against life. I rather
doubt that the joking reference to naval sodomy in Mansfield Park echoed
Austen's attitude towards her brothers. The plot of the book, not the
personal feelings of the author, called on that bit of punning. I think the
same is true of Eliot's use of Mr. Eugenides -- it was the poem, not his
personal response, that called for its use.

Carrol

Bertrand
> Russell. In TWL, Mr. Eugenides invites the narrator to lunch at the Cannon
> Street Hotel followed by a weekend at the Metropole. This is understood to
> be "code" for a homosexual proposition, Bertrand Russell was a lady's man
> who had numerous affairs, including one with Eliot's wife Vivienne. It's
> doubtful that Russell inspired the Mr. Eugenides character.
>
> On the topic of Mr. Eugenides, a big question to answer in TWL is why he
> appears as one of only a handful of images specifically called out by
Madame