Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 11:31:05 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: The Waste Land - a Tarot reading
To: [log in to unmask]

what TWL cards remind me of

"Here is the man with three staves..."

The poet -- "What might have been . . ."

---

"Here, said she, is your card, the drowned Phoenician Sailor."

The poet -- "What has been . . ."

---

"Here is Belladonna, The Lady of the Rocks, The lady of situations."

Vivienne, the lady on the 'burnished throne' in A Game of Chess.

Vis-a-vis her, the poet laments:
Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow
                                For Thine is the Kingdom

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
                                Life is very long

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow
                                For Thine is the Kingdom
---

"And here is the one-eyed merchant..."

Bertrand Russell, the atheist, who doled out help because it was business for him as usual.

“Stetson!
You who were with me in the ships at Mylae!
That corpse you planted last year in your garden,
Has it begun to sprout? Will it bloom this year?
Or has the sudden frost disturbed its bed?
Oh keep the Dog far hence, that’s friend to men,
Or with his nails he’ll dig it up again!"

---

"I do not find The Hanged Man."

He who was living is now dead
We who were living are now dying