CR:

I basically agree with you, both with your thought that Eliot turned people/events
from his life into art, and with many of the specific images you identify in
TWL.

The one I disagree with is your identification of Mr. Eugenides with Bertrand
Russell. In TWL, Mr. Eugenides invites the narrator to lunch at the Cannon
Street Hotel followed by a weekend at the Metropole. This is understood to be
"code" for a homosexual proposition, Bertrand Russell was a lady's
man who had numerous affairs, including one with Eliot's wife Vivienne. It's
doubtful that Russell inspired the Mr. Eugenides character.

On the topic of Mr. Eugenides, a big question to answer in TWL is why he
appears as one of only a handful of images specifically called out by Madame
Sosostris as the narrator's fortune is being (accurately) told. This elevates
him to an importance not accorded other figures in the poem who are left out of
the told fortune. For example, consider the characters _not_ mentioned by Sosostris,
such as Marie, Stetson, the Thames daughters,
the young man carbuncular, etc. I believe it's important to understand why the
Eugenides character is so prominent in the narrator's "fortune."

-- Tom --