Excusez moi! The post I posted today belongs here. Please read that in this context.
Thanks,
CR

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 19, 2013, at 1:48 AM, P <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Not if Madam Sosostris is involved, not to mention the shadow walking beside us, or the dog & corpse, or the dead sound of the bell &c., &c.
If the structure is occult, how can the message not be? The medium IS the message. As it is, Eliot had no message, whereby the poem is a reverse monster, a monster being a figure without a ground. A ground without a figure is a genius invention, opaque and so occult.
P.

Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

You would agree with me, though, Peter, that Eliot utilized the cards for their symbolic value, and as structural devices, rather than as instruments of the occult.

CR

From: P <[log in to unmask]>;
To: <[log in to unmask]>;
Subject: Re: The significance of the Tarot cards in 'The Waste Land'
Sent: Mon, Aug 19, 2013 3:25:09 AM

For a virtually contemporary take,
one could look at Chas. Williams' THE GREATER TRUMPS. Williams, like Yeats, Crowley, &c. belonged to the Society of the Golden Dawn which carried a lot of cultural weight at a time when the occult was very influential.

Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

The Tarot Fortune in The Waste Land

Betsey B. Creekmore
ELH
Vol. 49, No. 4 (Winter, 1982), pp. 908-928
Published by: The Johns Hopkins University Press
Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/2872904

"[T]he Tarot fortune is more than incidental to the meaning and movement of The Waste Land. ... "[I]ndividual reflection" provides meaning for the cards, since "the pictures are like doors which open into unexpected chambers or like a turn in the open road with a wide prospect beyond."

looking afresh

CR