'In Parenthesis'

We can sense some of the magical power of this prose poem at

http://www.arduity.com/poets/jones/inparenthesis.html

CR

The following note from Wikipedia might motivate some of us to peruse/read In Parenthesis if only to learn about the nature/quality of its prose poetry.

// In Parenthesis is an epic poem of World War I (or First World War) by David Jones first published in England in 1937. ... T.S. Eliot called it "a work of genius." W.H. Auden considered it "a masterpiece," "the greatest book about the First World War" that he had read, a work in which Jones did "for the British and the Germans what Homer did for the Greeks and the Trojans" in "a masterpiece" comparable in quality to The Divine Comedy. The novelist and poet Adam Thorpe says it "towers above any other prose or verse memorial of that war (indeed, of any war)". The Jones scholar Thomas Dilworth writes that it is "probably the greatest work of British Modernism written between the wars" and "the greatest work of literature in English on war." //

CR

random and not so random after all

“Which one of us, in his moments of ambition, has not dreamed of a miracle of poetic prose, musical without rhythm and without rhyme, supple enough and rugged enough to adapt itself to the lyrical impulses of the soul, the undulations of reverie, the jibes of conscience?” -- Charles Baudelaire

CR