 From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2013 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: Poem-A-Day: Conspiracy to Commit Larceny: A Recipe by Jennifer Militello

I disagree.  Although this list has a stated goal it is after all a form of verbal communication and one must allow conversations to wander and the edges of discussions to become frayed.  One might possibly also argue that Eliot's influence is so pervasive that it affects all thoughts whether published or unpublished about poetry or similar attempts at heightened language.

Eugene Schlanger

On Aug 12, 2013, at 8:42 AM, Tom Colket <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>You must be a new
subscriber to this list.  Your post that
this has nothing whatsoever to do with T. S. Eliot, which is the topic that the
List subscribers have voluntarily chosen to discuss.

>There are many Internet lists that talk about poetry in general, but this is
not one of them.

>For the occasional post that is off-topic, we put the phase
"off-topic" in the subject line as a courtesy  to alert subscribers that a given post does
not pertain to T. S. Eliot (although the Listers may still find the post
interesting).

>Unfortunately, your post was both off-topic and contains no such labeling.
>
>Failure to adhere to these simple rules is considered rude and arrogant. While
the list has no moderator (so every post is sent automatically to all
subscribers without a person screening the posts) we are self-policing. This means that we do respond to inappropriate posts in an attempt to maintain the purpose,
integrity, and quality of the list.

>When we have not done a good job of self-policing in the past, we have seen
List membership drop neatly in half from its high point in 2001. We are currently
trying to re-build the List membership. Please help us by following our
conventions.