Not sure we are disagreeing david

Pete
On 11/08/2013, at 8:11 PM, David Boyd wrote:

I have to disagree about the impact of Verdenal's death and indirectly of the First War: can't recall exactly which Eliot / Verdenal letters we were studying just recently under some expert guidance in a seminar, but the closeness of that relationship was obviously immense and was palpable. On occasions, the two individuals merged into one, and one had to consult the headers or the footers to distinguish who was the writer and whom the recipient.

It must have been an almost-inconceivable-to-we-onlookers  personal shock to Eliot that Verdenal got slaughtered in the Dardanelles: recall we discussed the 'death by water' etc bits of TWL that fairly-obviously refer to this (those attempted  landings were ptimarily mass-drownings before the invaders ever reached the shore).

On reflection, might not Eliot's Margate etc breakdown have been rooted in his Verdenal trauma, compounded by his further ones with Valerie? - post-traumatic stress disorder and all that?