As for 'war', even if it was not the poem's motivating force, there's no denying the fact that its presence in the poem has most certainly enlarged its thematic and social appeal it would otherwise lack.

CR

________________________________

Incidentally, the Fresca passage was removed not because it was revolting (for what is hell if it's not revolting) but for reasons of style. Here's a study:

Recognizing Venus (II): Dido, Aeneas, and Mr. Eliot
Kenneth Reckford
Arion: A Journal of Humanities and the Classics
Third Series, Vol. 3, No. 2/3 (Fall, 1995 - Winter, 1996), pp. 43-80
Published by: Trustees of Boston University
Article Stable URL:http://www.jstor.org/stable/20163573

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/20163573?uid=3739728&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21102541578407

CR

________________________________

The wasteland that was T.S Eliot's first marriage
Josephine Hart
London Evening Standard

"To her the marriage brought no happiness to me it brought the state of mind out of which came The Waste Land." - TS Eliot

"Between the motion and the action falls the shadow," he wrote in The Hollow Men

The man for whom Dante was a perpetual inspiration was now trapped in his own inferno.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/the-wasteland-that-was-ts-eliots-first-marriage-6762313.html

Fresca (subsequently removed at Pound's behest) was part of that hell, a disguised version of V, maybe.

All this does connect with Eliot's later description of the poem as “the relief of a personal and wholly insignificant grouse against life … just a piece of rhythmical grumbling."

WW1, no doubt, was there. But The Waste Land, as Eliot wrote to Forster, "might have been just the same without the war."

CR

We must also keep in mind Eliot's later description of the poem as “the relief of a personal and wholly insignificant grouse against life … just a piece of rhythmical grumbling." It only confirms that the poem was essentially a lament on the loss of love.