a most satisfying article vis-a-vis the subject line

Voices and Language in T. S. Eliot's The Waste Land
By Allan Johnson

"[T]he poem's organizing motif of waste is enacted by the text's own mysterious incoherence and accumulation of disparate voices." ... Perhaps the most challenging aspect of reading The Waste Land is learning to accept the undecipherable and to view the voices of the many residents of the wasteland not as inconsistent, but disjointed and reaching toward one goal. ... The question of the voice behind The Waste Land can be answered in one way by the poem's curious epigraph, taken from Petronius' Satyricon, which is obscure in both its language and its direct implications to Eliot's work."

http://salempress.com/store/samples/critical_insights/eliot_voices.htm

CR

________________________________

Incidentally,

"What is meaning and how do we find it? This question is a thematic thread that pervades the fragmentary lines of T. S. Eliot’s The Wasteland, a diagnosis of humanity in our crumbling, modern civilization. The poem is disjunctive in many ways: it is written in five parts, all with diverse subjects; a multitude of voices confuses regular distinctions of character and perspective; the poem spans the entire range of poetic styles, from lyrical to narrative; and the variety within each of these elements appears so chaotic and inexplicable that we are left to assume a complete dearth of unified themes or meaning in the poem as a whole. Nevertheless, it is precisely through this apparent disjunction and disconnection that Eliot means to convey his ideas on humanity and modern civilization. Through various images and episodes, Eliot explores the different ways we seek meaning in the world, in our lives, and in others, and how these usual ways all ultimately
 fail: ironically, only through recognizing the limits on our ability to discover meaning do we find any at all."  -- The Blank Card: Meaning and Transcendence in T. S. Eliot’s The Wasteland by Joshua Evans, Yale University

http://www.agorajournal.org/2011/Evans.pdf

CR

Depends on how one takes it, Schlanger.
Modes of apprehension, maybe.
A raid on the inarticulate, as Eliot said.

CR