My point exactly. As McLuhan pointed out, being a trading people they needed a method of keeping track of their trades so they hammered out a crude workable alphabet which they took around the Mediterranean with them & educated their known world.
That connects Phlebas with the currant fellow, the mechanical typist,  and her carbuncular young man with Bradford assurance, &c, &c. The profit and the loss. Also with the Dantean crowd flowing over London bridge down to the City where all the roads meet at THE ONE FIGURE absent from the poem, the royal stock exchange which connects with the whole of the Empire & so, the world.

BTW Eliz 1 opened the 1st exchange in early 1600s. Eliz 2 opened Exchange Tower in 1967.

P.