From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nancy Gish
Sent: Tuesday, 20 August 2013 5:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TWL as ground.

Dear Peter,

Fugue states, as you note, are one form of dissociation. I have studied the early 20th C psychiatry on this and written on Eliot and dissociation, but I do not think it makes sense to call the whole poem that. For one thing, it's amnesia. But Eliot does have images throughout the early poetry that correspond to clinical descriptions of dissociation; it is not only fugues and is far too complex to describe here. But to use the term calls for what you studied; it's not a clear term to apply to a whole poem.
Nancy

>>> Peter Dillane <[log in to unmask]> 08/19/13 8:23 AM >>>
Hey Peter

I know Nancy has had a fair bit to say about fugue states in the past, but
I will put in my little bit for what its worth.

When I trained in psychiatry (not that I did much - one year undergraduate
and I did do a couple of years post graduate training ) it was said that the
amount of psychiatric illness in a community stays about the same but
expresses itself in different ways from time to time. Dissociative states
are not so common latterly - although in this country we took a lot of
people from Bosnia after the troubles there and we did see fugue states. I
have only one patient now ( my clinetele runs to about 2500 ) a middle
aged man from Lebanon who had a bad time in his adolescence who has had
continuing fugue symptoms.

No I dont know what it all means by the way.

cheers Pete