And how does that relate to the reader and the poem? Readers frequently get lost in what they read. TWL facilitates that. Not technically a fugue? Fine. Eliot probably didn't know the term. Did Eliot fugue off to Switzerland or not? Irrelevant. This is a whole new trip. It parallels the fugue in a mystically mysterious kind of way.
P.