I am repeating myself, but it is sloppy because it is just a student
paper, and not a very impressive one. None of my seniors in undergrad
would turn in a paper with the title wrong and just two sources (also
with the title misspelled) and no individually developed idea. The paper
is unresearched and naÔve, and it says nothing distinctive.

So the title is very much to some point; I do not know what point there
is about its content or "ideas," which are uninformed and not carefully
worked out, but Tom's point is the relevant one here.

Why is this stuff stuck on a website of people serious about Eliot? Why
does it fill up my email?

And before I get sniped at as some kind of elitist, many of my students
do, in fact, come up with very fine papers with distinctive ideas. And
they do the necessary work. This is not one.
Nancy

>>> Tom Colket 08/08/13 7:03 AM >>>

CR> Well, that is beside the point

(Sorry that Evans name got "autocorrected" to Evens in my post)

The point is that, by botching the title, Mr. Evans shows a sloppiness
that is abundantly evident throughout the article you called our
attention to.

Here's what TSE has to say about the title in a postscript to a 1928
letter to a Spanish translator, Angel Flores (from "Letters, vol 4"):

===========================
To Angel Flores

22 February 1928 [London]

. . . . . . main letter . . .

Yours very truly,
[T. S. Eliot]

P.S. The title, by the way, is not 'The Wasteland' but 'The Waste Land'.
The only exact translation of the title is one which my French
translator, Jean de Menasce, discovered, although alas! too late to use
in his version - 'La Gaste Lande'. This is absolutely the exact
equivalent as it alludes to the same mediaeval fiction.

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->