All said, Eliot looked rather suspiciously at all this tarot business, Madame Sosostris and Madame de Tornquist. That is not to deny his fascination for the mystical and the supernatural domain of life, an area of human experience he greatly prized and cherished. All the same, I am afraid, one would have to make a distinction between Eliot's regard for the ancient fertility rites on the one hand and his mockery of certain sham cults associated with occultism. The dividing line gets rather thin at times, though.

CR